Equity Mutual Funds ended with good returns for the third consecutive session following by sharp rally in equity benchmarks. As the markets closed higher, all equity and balanced funds continued to advance recording no losers in either category.
The market was well supported by sectoral indices. Banking & Finance, Pharma & Healthcare, and FMCG took the lead in driving the benchmark recording no decline in either category. Even Technology funds which were seen in red for couple of session recovered quite smartly recording very few decline.
The JP Morgan's move to upgrade Indian equities to "overweight" from "neutral" helped the market to move higher despite of the global downtrend. The session ended with BSE gaining 135.93 points or 0.80% to close at 17,032.56 and the NSE to end at 5,165 up by 44.45 points.
The debt funds maintained its good performance as both Long term and Short term excelled with no decline registered. However the experts are cynical on the near time performance of the debt funds as weaker rupee and heavy supply pressure and RBI's decision to keep rates unchanged may weigh on market sentiment.
Here is the day's performance and the gainers and losers across categories.
Equity funds: Top gainers
* HDFC Infrastructure Fund (G) up 1.87%
* Sahara Infrastructure -Variable Pricing Option (G) up 1.84%
* Sahara Infrastructure - Fixed Pricing Option (G) up 1.83%
Equity funds: Top losers
* Templeton India Equity Income Fund (G) down 0.13%
* Tata Ethical Fund (G) down 0.10%
Tax saving funds: Top gainers
* Reliance Tax Saver (ELSS) Fund (G) up 1.16%
* UTI Long Term Advantage Fund (G) up 1.16%
* UTI Long Term Advantage Fund - Series II (G) up 1.13%
Tax saving funds: Top losers
Sector funds: Top gainers
* UTI Banking Sector Fund (G) up 2.22%
* Reliance Banking Exchange Traded Fund up 2.10%
* Sundaram Financial Services Opportunities - Retail Plan (G) up 1.91%
Sector funds: Top losers
* Franklin Infotech Fund (G) down 0.27%
Balanced funds: Top gainers
* HDFC Prudence Fund (G) up 0.99%
* Baroda Pioneer Balance Fund (G) up 0.86%
* Escorts Balanced Fund (G) up 0.86%
Balanced funds: Top losers
* No Losers
Debt funds: Top gainers
* Birla Sun Life Income Plus (Discipline Advantage Plan) up 0.26%
* Templeton India Govt Sec - Composite Plan (G) up 0.44%
Debt funds: Top losers
* No Losers
« Previous story